Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Blog Posst #6


1. The Networked Student

I though this video was very helpful with explaining the "networked student". It is a good deal of information to process especially when we were raised in a traditional student and teacher learning environment where everything is taught off of the chalkboard and the internet was used for research papers. Students today have skills that will enable to help them master technology. Today is the future! The tools available to the students and to the teachers should not be wasted. In this video, the networked student built his own online textbook. I thought this was awesome! He had no book for the class. His networking and web searching helped him build his own book. This idea was awesome! His classmates can see the information he has gathered.  This way of teaching is so very different but very exciting!
It is the teacher's job to teach a networked student in a few ways. For starters, the networked student is not going to know where to begin. The teacher is there to help him or her to begin with building their network. The teacher's job also is to help him with any questions he may have with setting up his network, adding onto it, etc. Also, the teacher is there to help him distinguish what is a reliable site and what is not. The guidance of the teacher is so important.
I think my favorite part about this is that the student makes his or her own textbook while learning to network and search for information. I know that I always learn best when I do it myself. So, if the student would like a text for the class, he or she must go out and basically build it. They will learn so much more doing that than being given a textbook that they probably wouldn't open anyway. If you decide not to build yours, then it only hurts you, the student. I loved this! This is such an imperative thing to teach and to prepare our students for!
http://techliterateteacher.blogspot.com/2009/06/networked-student.html




2. A 7th Grader's Personal Learning Environment (or PLN)
      I can't believe she is only in 7th grade. When I was in 7th grade, I remembr having to get a permision slip signed in order to even use the internet. Looking back on my 7th grade year, we had to sign permission forms to use the internet at school. I cant believe how organized she is! Her PLN is so organized, thought-out, and efficient. I will definitely use some of her techniques if not many to do my PLN.  I know it will take some time to get everything in your PLN, but it made me eager to get a jump on it! This can and will take learning to a whole new level.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEls3tq5wIY


3. Critiques of Smartboards
Why Smartboards are a Dumb Initiative by Michael Staton
Michael Staton in his stand against smartboards argues the cost efficient side. He says they are too expensive for what they are and that you can do the same thing with different programs.
http://theinnovativeeducator.blogspot.com/2010/05/why-smartboards-are-dumb-initiative.html


Why I Hate Interactive Whiteboards by Bill Ferriter

Bill Ferriter also thinks that interactive whiteboards are too expensive and that don't do any thing positive for the students or the teacher. He gave his away after using it for a year. In his post he quoted:
"Most of the time, interactive whiteboard programs are, in fact, nothing more than vain attempts to buy change. Rarely paired with a clear vision of the classrooms we’d like to see, a set of tangible objectives that can be measured, or any systematic attempts to evaluate outcomes, these high-priced contraptions are sad examples of the careless decision-making and waste that
are crippling some of our schools and systems."
I personally think everone is allowed to have their own oppinon on the use of a white board. Mr. Ferriter clearly stated his here.
http://www.edweek.org/tm/articles/2010/01/27/tln_ferriter_whiteboards.html?tkn=Q%5BRFGmQux6XnMebDMl4nddRDutTae13KtmNE

.

2 comments:

  1. Great blog post Cherish! You made some very interesting points.
    "...especially when we were raised in a traditional student and teacher learning environment." I think this is one of our biggest challenges entering the field at this point in history. We don't know what it's like to be kids in a 21st century classroom or to be a child in this time of modern technology at all. Their life experiences are so different from ours.

    " it made me eager to get a jump on it!" I had the same reaction and went right away to work on my PLN. I'm using symbaloo too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that everyone can realizes what you say: "Today is the future! The tools available to the students and to the teachers should not be wasted." I really like this quote from you because it is TRUE!!! There are so many negative attitudes toward technology, and if it wasn't for technology, we wouldn't have many of the things that we have today.

    Wow, it is hard to believe that you had to have permission to use the best tool for knowledge!

    After you do your SMARTboard presentation, I think you will get a better feel for what you think about them such as; are they worth the money?

    Good post Whitney,

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete