Thursday, February 3, 2011

Blog Post 3

Children and Technology


Michael Wesch: A Vision of Students Today
       I think that this video is a great reflection of the everyday college student. I have personally bought books before and never opened them. I have spent maybe a thousand dollars on different text book during the time I have been at South and I have come across many that I haven't even touched since the day I bought them from the USA bookstore. I am also guilty of not attending classes that I know I am paying for. Freshman year when everything was so new and exciting I would find myself skipping class and looking for any and every reason to not go.I struggled with the thought of having so much freedom. Like almost every freshman, I took advantage of my time and would skip class to hang with new friends.When you skip too many classes, students fail to see the consequences that follow. If I could tell any new coming freshman anything it would be attend class. It affects your grades and your GPA. 
        Being a multi-tasker is a super important tool to have. It is difficult to balance school, work, sororities or clubs, and friends. But if you can be an ultimate multi-tasker then it may come easy for you. What worked for me was buying a daily planner, I planned out my days down to the hour that first semester. That way I could accomplish everything I needed to get done all in that one day. I really enjoyed this video. I would want to show this to high school seniors before they decide on their college choice and major.  

Kelly Hines: It's Not About The Technology
Kelly Hines made some excellent points in her post. If you do not know how to use the technology effectively then what good is it doing. I think she was right when she said that it is up to us to make a technology a success for us. Most educators would disagree and refuse to educate themselves on something new. For some subjects it will be hard to integrate technology into the classroom.
    All teachers should teach their students to be creative and I think that is the most important thing. When kids are using their creativity to all of their ability there is no telling what they will come up with. When you allow children to use enjoyable things in classroom activities, I think it helps them learn the material better. Encouraging your students to be creative is I think one of the most important things to bring to your classroom. Without our unique senses of creativity we would all be very similar, but as children express their creativity they begin to see talents they did not know they had.

Karl Fisch: Is It Okay to Be a Technologically Illiterate Teacher?
After reading this I do not think that it is okay to be a technologically illiterate teacher. I really enjoyed the examples that he used in this reading. He wrote that many parents use their poor math skills growing up as an excuse for their child's poor math performance. I liked this example because I am guilty of telling  people all the time that I am terrible in math. He says that many people use this same outlook when they talk about their computer skills. Even if you are technologically illiterate you can still teach your students what they need to know.


Gary Hayes: Social Media Count
This site was really interesting. It is crazy to see what could happen in just a few seconds. I think what this means for us as future educators is that we are going to have to start learning things about technology now if we want to be prepared when we enter the class room.Who knows what we will be teaching in the near future if technology keeps growing!

2 comments:

  1. How can teachers help encourage students to attend? Respond with many varried, and unsual ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your idea about showing the Michael Wesch video to high school seniors. It would be a great way to show them the realities of college life. While what I took away from the Kelly Hines video was a little different from you, I do agree that all teachers should encourage creativity because without it; we would lose our individuality.

    ReplyDelete